Just off the village square of a small quiet thirteenth century medieval village, this luxury, modern renovation of an ancient stone barn offers the highest standard of luxury accommodation. The terrace faces away from the village offering high levels of privacy. Facing South East, the apartment makes the most of the sun. The garden is divided into two and this property has its own entrance to the pool garden so it easy to arrange exclusive access if desired.
A kiadó hely
Just off the village square of a small quiet thirteenth century medieval village, this two en-suite double bed, luxury, modern renovation of an ancient stone barn offers the highest standard of luxury accommodation. Only the top floor of the barn has been converted to living space (this is at street level at one end and elevated at the other as the barn is on the valley side) so the living 'apartment' is on one level and is based on open plan living. The living space opens out onto an elevated covered terrace projecting the occupants out into the valley below. The terrace faces away from the village and other properties offering high levels of privacy. It is above the roof line of those few properties below it. Large triple glass floor to ceiling doors and a glass balustrade on the terrace ensure the tremendous views are always available, from inside the apartment or out on the terrace. Facing South East, the apartment makes the most of the sun all year round and is especially evident from early morning when it fills both the terrace and apartment. High tech energy reflective glass patio doors and remotely controlled velux windows in the roof, supported by an air exchange heating / air conditioning system ensures maximum comfort all the year round. There is also a ceramic wood burner that rotates 360 degrees to offer warmth where ever you decide to rest in the living space and terrace if you are lucky enough to find yourself there outside of the super sunny summers.
The property is a stand alone house and has its own entrance off the village street but shares a large terraced garden plot with the owners holiday home next door. The garden plot is divided into two and this property has its own entrance to the pool garden. The owner also has an entrance down a small slope from the terrace garden above and this makes it very easy to arrange exclusive periods of access to the pool garden if desired. As the pool garden is separate from the garden terrace around the owners property it offers several discrete private seating areas as the terrace is higher than your average person (I can't remember exactly how high but I'm 6' and can't see over). Great privacy and a large garden considering we are in the center of the village. Visitors are ensured of a private place to sit in the garden and enjoy the view, or watch the swallows and house martins dive down to drink from the pool. Seating at the pool is also as secluded as it could be considering you are within a village. There are certainly areas where you can sunbath without being overseen. No properties directly overlook the pool.
The apartment has a continuous floor surface stretching from the front door to the end of the terrace with no steps or ridges to navigate. With all interior doors 83cm wide and central floor draining in one of the en-suite bathrooms and extendable shower hose, the apartment is welcoming to visitors in wheelchairs.
The village is very quiet as it has no through road, Visitors drive in and out by the same route. The 500 year old bakery with traditional wood fired ovens brings in the locals from the surrounding area for morning croissants and fantastic bread. It also serves ice creams, soft drinks and essential provisions. The village is a peaceful sanctuary even when it bustles into life, offering weekly culinary fetes in the church square and classical concerts in the medieval church. Montcabrier is set in beautiful countryside with an abundance of small market towns nearby, and famous for its food and wine. Confit de canard, foie gras, goats cheese, walnuts, prunes, melons, peaches are all locally produced in abundance. Montcabrier hosts a marché des produits every Friday evening in the summer, for local producers to bring their fresh produce, BBQ, wine and often music and fairy lights with trestle tables set out in front of the 13th century church make this a very popular event. There is also a marché aux puces and Festival de Montcabrier later in the summer. This is the local traditional dinner and dancing where local matchmaking has helped along generations of would be romantics. Montcabrier hosts the wonderful "8 de Montcabrier" classical music festival (Check it out on Youtube), a really outstanding event if you can be organised enough to get tickets. Motcabrier is on the Grande Randonnée G632 so boasts fantastic walking opportunities along with mountain bike trails, horse riding and rock climbing. The great rivers of the Lot and Dordogne offer boat trips, canoeing and there are many tributaries if you are keen on fishing. There is also a free tennis court available for your use in the village. There are so many things to do for every ability, it is best to ask us if you are heading here and we can help you plan a full itinerary including shopping, eating, entertainment, and what ever activity you seek.
The Lot valley in this area, stretching from Cahors 40Km to the East, is the main area for the famous Cahors vineyards. It is all about the food, wine, markets and restaurants in this area of the Lot. Wine tasting is encouraged! The nearest market town is the beautiful medieval Puy-l' Eveque 7km although there is a market on everyday of the week in one village or another a short drive from Montcabrier. Plenty of fantastic restaurants, again within a short drive, with the nearest a restaurant and bar in Duravel 4Km. There are large supermarkets in Fummel 11Km and Prayssac 12Km.
The barn is a stand alone building with its own entrance and the guests have private and full access. Parking can be in front of the property but there is easy parking in the village square a few yards away. There is a garden with pool that the guests share with the owners when they are on holiday, although this is only for a few weeks of the year and if the full family are there the rate will be discounted. Otherwise the guests have exclusive access. The entrance to the pool garden is from the small road down the side of the property.
Kapcsolat a vendégekkel
I am sometimes available when also on holiday at the property. When I am not there we have a neighbor who will be available.
Advertising and accuracy
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure that the brochure and all advertising material is accurate at the time of publication, we cannot be held responsible for changes or matters outside our control. All information is given in good faith but no warranties are made regarding information provided, either written or oral.
Bookings and payments
1. Payment terms - 50% on booking / 50% + security deposit 60 days prior. The final payment becomes due 60 days before your holiday date. If the full amount plus the security deposit is not received by the due date we reserve the right to cancel the booking.
2. If you are booking less than 60 days before departure, the full price including damage deposit is due.
3. Under no circumstances can the prescribed number of persons per booking be exceeded.
4. Cancellation terms as per AirBnB 'strict' policy
5. It is recommended that you take out insurance to protect the risk of cancellation from the time of booking and for medical, baggage cover etc. whilst abroad. Should the property be unavailable on the day stated, due to unforeseen circumstances, every attempt will be made to relocate guests. If this is not possible, all rent monies will be refunded without question but no further liability will fall upon the owners.
6. Security deposit of £200 fully refundable within seven days except when evidence damage or missing items requires costs to be recovered. The following list offers examples, and is not exhaustive:
a. Fair use wear and tear including breaking the odd glass or piece of crockery is overlooked however more significant breakages, i.e. more than the odd piece of crockery or drinking glasses.
b. Take care with wine and the tile floor and the white cushions - accidents happen but we suspect it will stain and require professional cleaning, the costs will be deducted.
c. Use the cutting boards provided when preparing food – repairing or replacing kitchen worktops is expensive.
d. Take care with what you put down the sink / toilets to avoid the cost of a plumber
e. Fittings and fixtures, i.e. doors, draws, cupboard doors, toilet seats, curtains, carpets pictures etc. In fact anything damaged that requires replacement or for a tradesman to be called or extra cleaning.
f. Telephone calls to mobiles cost (calls to fixed lines anywhere in the world are free)
g. Excessive electricity usage – only real culprit is excessive use of the AC, from leaving it running when you are out, or with doors and windows open – see point 8.
h. Towels and bed linen. Damage or staining of the mattresses.
i. Anything that has been damaged is missing or requires cleaning beyond that expected from fair use in the house.
j. The cleaner will sign off the inventory (of which you have a copy as you arrive) when you leave.
7. Prices are inclusive of electricity (an excess of fair usage will be chargeable – see note regarding AC), gas, water and the provision of bed linen and towels but do not include towels for use outside the property or around the pool. Please bring your own pool towels otherwise a charge will be made to replace the towels.
8. The climate control system (AC) should not be used with open windows and doors, particularly in the summer. Set it to a reasonable temperature, e.g. 22C is considered normal room temperature, and only switch on when you close windows and doors. Otherwise it will attempt to acclimatise the whole of France which will be expensive and ineffective for you. Electrical usage is checked on each change over and extreme and excessive use will be first deducted from the damage deposit and if in excess of this costs will be sought. Check the manual for operation. The AC units are best utilised to cool bedrooms when it is excessively hot. Set to cool an hour before bedtime with windows and doors closed. They have a timer function. They also have a setting where they cool and then gradually acclimatise, switching off in the middle of the night when it is cooler. This has the benefit of stopping the noise.
9. The property will be cleaned before your arrival and we respectfully ask you to remember that you are staying in someone else's home and to leave it clean and tidy when you depart. If extra cleaning is required a minimum charge of £50 will be levied. Breakages should be reported in order that it can be rectified before the following clients arrive.
10. Please do not arrive at the property before 4.00 p.m. and kindly leave by 11.00 a.m. on the day of departure (otherwise you could be charged extra rental) in order to give enough time between clients to ensure that the property is ready.
11. If you expect to arrive after 7.00 p.m. or earlier than 4.00pm please let us know and we will try to make arrangements for you.
12. In the event of any complaint arising, either on arrival or after occupation has commenced, this should be brought to our attention immediately so that remedial action, where necessary, can be taken without delay. They will do everything possible to deal with any difficulties both quickly and effectively. We retain the right to enter the property at any reasonable time to deal with any complaints and to carry out any repairs deemed necessary to the property or equipment. Any complaint after departure must be in writing within 14 days of your departure.
13. Swimming pool is open from June to September – see pool rules for more details concerning the use of the pool.
14. No pets
15. No smoking! – If you must indulge please do it outside as we packed it in years ago and so have got noses like sniffer dogs. If the property needs to be fumigated a minimum charge of £50 will be levied.
16. Car parking at owners’ risk.
17. Whilst every possible effort will be made to maintain the pool and household equipment in good order for the enjoyment of our guests we cannot accept liability in the event of any unforeseen calamity but would ask you to bear with us whilst we attempt to rectify the problem as soon as possible.
18. These conditions are governed by English law(URL HIDDEN)
1. Children to be under parent's supervision at all times as we cannot be responsible for their safety as there is no lifeguard on duty.
2. The pool gate must be left locked whenever there is no adult present, i.e. each time you leave the pool. French laws on swimming pool security are very strict. We secure our swimming pool by ensuring it is surrounded by a secure fence over 1.1m of which the two gates opening onto the garden are integral.
For further information on swimming pool safety laws in France guests are encouraged to read the Raffarin law:
• Competent adult supervision is the only way to prevent drowning accidents, Never leave an unsupervised child near a swimming pool, never lose eye contact
• If you must leave the pool area, even for one minute, take your child with you - adult supervision is always necessary
• You use the pool at your own risk
3. Pool towels not supplied - please bring your own towels.
4. No swimming between 20.00 hours and 09.00 hours.
5. No diving as the pool is only 1.5m deep. No bombing, no running.
6. Plastic only please – plastic glasses supplied. NO GLASSES / CERAMIC by the pool please – if broken glass ends up in the pool, it has to be drained and water is VERY EXPENSIVE in France, not to mention the inconvenience of not being able to swim for days which will impact on guests following you. Costs will be sort!
7. No food (crisps etc).
8. No draping wet swimming towels over the glass balcony – ruins the view
9. No sitting on indoor or outdoor cushions in wet swimmers
10. No suncream on the sun loungers – lie on your towel, easier to put in the washing machine than the lounger!
11. Take down the umbrella at night or it will end up in the pool
Enjoy your stay and sign the Visitors Book please!