This cozy second-floor studio is suitable for solo travelers or couples (ONE DOUBLE BED) who prefer the independence of their own place rather than a bedroom in someone's house. This place is old, vintage & quirky, so if you prefer new and modern it might not be for you :) Completely non-smoking space, indoors and outdoors. Less than a mile to downtown restaurants and culture, 2 miles to the Notre Dame campus, 8 minutes to SB Airport and 80/90 Toll Road, 2 blocks to Memorial Hospital.
A kiadó hely
This little vintage studio, located in an OLD house in an OLD neighborhood, is suitable for solo travelers or couples (there is ONE DOUBLE bed) who prefer the their own space rather than a bedroom in someone's house. This place is old, vintage & quirky, so if you prefer new and modern it might not be for you :) This is an UPSTAIRS apartment; the private entrance is accessible by a stairway. Wireless internet is provided. There is no TV. The studio is pet-free. The space is completely NON-SMOKING inside and out.
NOTE: Please read the NEIGHBORHOOD section for a full description of our neighborhood and the quirks of the house to make sure everything is suitable for you.
QUIET: We ask that guests maintain a quiet atmosphere inside the apartment, especially at night, as there are 3 adjacent Airbnb apartments in the house. The walls/floors of the house are solid, but not sound-proof, so you will be aware of other guests, and they will be aware of you :)
STUDIO DETAILS: The combined bedroom/living room has a small sofa, chair, work table, dresser, closet and a double bed. The bathroom has a tile shower, small sink, and toilet---BUT please be aware that the bathroom is tiny and very narrow, with very little space for your legs when sitting on the toilet, causing most people to have to sit a little sideways on it---SORRY! The kitchen is intended for LIGHT cooking and no strong-odor foods. There is a stove, microwave, sink and vintage refrigerator as well as dishes, cookware, standard coffeemaker, French press and Melitta pour-over cone. Locally roasted organic coffees (regular & decaf), organic teas, organic half-n-half, and organic sugar and stevia are provided, but for longer stays, please plan to replenish these items on your own if you need more. City tap water is fine, but a water pitcher with filter (Brita) is provided. Sheets are 100% cotton. The studio is pet-free. Wireless internet provided. There is no TV. Recycling & composting are available.
NOTRE DAME HOME GAME WEEKENDS require a minimum 2-night booking.
LAUNDRY: If you need to do your personal laundry during your stay, you will have access to the laundry room, which is shared by the other tenants of the apartment house. Only non-toxic products are permitted in the laundry room, and these products will be supplied during your stay.
We will provide detailed instructions for parking and letting yourself in to the studio at whatever time you arrive. You will have access to the studio, the shared laundry room and the shared backyard deck. There is free street parking in front of the apartment house and in front of our own house next door. You will need to use a stairway to get to this second floor studio.
Kapcsolat a vendégekkel
The AirBnb is set up for independent check-in and check-out, but we are happy to meet you on arrival if you prefer. We live just next door if you need anything. There are 3 other Airbnb apartments in the house, so you may run into other guests in the yard or laundry room. You will also occasionally see us outside busying ourselves around the garage and yard.
Egyéb fontos dolgok
The studio is in an OLD house in an OLD neighborhood. See NEIGHBORHOOD section for details.
The walls and floors of the old house are solid, but not sound-proof. You will be aware of other guests staying in the 3 adjacent apartments, and they will be aware of you :) so please maintain a relatively quiet atmosphere, especially at night.
For health and environmental reasons: we use zero-VOC paints, natural and non-toxic cleaning and laundry products, and we do not use fabric softener.
South Bend is on Eastern Time (an hour later than nearby Chicago!)
In the immediate area, you can find great food at Frank's, our neighborhood bar just a block away. The Local Cup, a neighborhood coffee house, is 5 blocks away (limited hours). In the growing season, check out our Urban Garden Farmers Market next to the Local Cup.
Following are distances to nearby restaurants, bars and shopping. If you don't have a car or like to explore on foot, most are a reasonable walk (1 mile or less) from the studio apartment. This info is also printed out in the studio apartment:
NEARBY & DOWNTOWN RESTAURANTS
(ALL WITHIN 1 MILE OF THE AIRBNB)
- Frank’s Bar, corner of William & Marion, 2 blocks away (neighborhood bar with food)
- The Local Cup, 1009 Portage Ave, community coffee house with limited hours
- Fiddler's Hearth Public House, 127 N. Main Street (casual dining, pub, live music, family-friendly)
- LaSalle Kitchen & Tavern, 115 W. Colfax, upstairs through back entrance (casual dining, bar, live music)
- South Bend Brew Werks, 216 S. Michigan Street (local brew pub with community focus and creative food)
- WooChi Japanese Fusion & Bar, 123 W. Washington
- India Garden, 123 N. Michigan Street (great Indian food; lots pf vegetarian items)
- Nom Nom Pho Noodles N Rice (Vietnamese & Thai; vegetarian & vegan friendly)
- Cambodian Thai, 235 S. Michigan Street (casual Asian food)
- LePeep, 126 S. Michigan Street (locally-owned branch of a franchise; casual breakfast/lunch spot)
- Chicory Café, 105 E. Jefferson Blvd. (coffee, beer, wine, casual food, live music, family)
- South Bend Chocolate Café, 122 S. Michigan St (coffee, chocolates, food, desserts, beer, wine, ice cream)
-The General Deli & Café, 609 E. Jefferson Blvd. (casual food & coffee bar)
- Purple Porch Co-op & Café, 123 N. Hill Street (coffee, salad & hot food bar, breakfast too; local/organic food)
- India Garden, 123 N. Michigan Street (great Indian food dine-in/carry out; closed Sunday)
UPSCALE DINING DOWNTOWN SOUTH BEND (A MILE OR LESS)
- LaSalle Grill, 115 W. Colfax –modern American bistro (½ mile)
- Cafe Navarre, 101 N. Michigan Street
- Tapastrie, 103 W. Colfax (wine, tapas, cocktails)
- Tippecanoe Place, 620 W. Washington (traditional fare & Sunday brunch in historic home of the Studebakers)
- Render Kitchen & Bar, 521 E. Jefferson Blvd., seasonal menu, locally sourced (1.2 miles)
NEARBY BREAKFAST and CAFES
- The Local Cup (6 blocks) - see info at beginning of this document
- Purple Porch Co-op & Café, 123 N. Hill Street (coffee, hot breakfast bar; lots of veg & vegan; organic/local)
- LePeep, 126 S. Michigan Street (full breakfast menu; locally-owned branch of a franchise)
- Chicory Café, 105 E. Jefferson Blvd. (coffee bar, a few breakfast items)
-The General Deli & Café, 609 E. Jefferson Blvd. (1.3 miles) (coffee bar, bagels, breakfast sandwiches)
A LITTLE FARTHER AWAY, BUT WORTH MENTIONING
-Crooked Ewe Brewery (2 miles) brewery with creative food, meat and vegan menus; Sunday brunch
-Zen Café Coffee Roasters & Café (2.5 miles)
-Uptown Kitchen (6 miles) breakfast, lunch, brunch, locally owned
-Temper Grille (6.5 miles) tapas-style cuisine & wine bar
SUNDAY BRUNCH (1/2 MILE TO 2 MILES FROM THE AIRBNB
-South Bend Brew Werks – downtown SB
-LePeep – downtown SB
-Fiddler's Hearth - downtown SB
-Tippecanoe Place – downtown SB
-Crooked Ewe Brewery - (2 miles away)
-The Mark Dine & Tap (2 miles; next to Notre Dame campus)
NOTRE DAME/EDDY STREET COMMONS (ADJACENT TO CAMPUS & 2 MILES FROM THE AIRBNB
- The Mark Dine & Tap
- Barbici Italian Street Food
- Chipotle Mexican Grill
- Brothers Bar & Grill
- O'Rourke's Public House
- Blaze Pizza
- Yats Cajun & Creole
- Jamba Juice
- Kilwin's Chocolate & Ice Cream
NOTRE DAME AREA
- Let’s Spoon Frozen Yogurt
- Cafe at the Overlook (casual breakfast, lunch, dinner, coffee, beer/wine)
- Elia’s (great Lebanese food)
- JW Chen’s Chinese
- Breadsmith Bakery (homemade bread, muffins, cookies)
- La Esperanza (yummy Mexican food)
- CreAsian (Vietnamese/Asian/Pho Noodle)
- Nick’s Patio (24-hour family restaurant – breakfast anytime!)
- Breadsmith Bakery – homemade breads, muffins, cookies (carry-out only)
-Martins Grocery Store with deli & seating – corner of Ironwood & South Bend Ave.
DOWNTOWN EAST BANK VILLAGE – UNIQUE SHOPS ABOUT 1 MILE FROM THE AIRBNB
- Just Goods—fair trade clothing and items for the home, baby items, accessories
- Circa Arts—the work of regional artists & some vintage furniture
- Fire Arts—pottery by area artists
- Inspire Me—women’s clothing
- Ali on the Boulevard—jewelry, clothing, accessories, items for the home
- Purple Porch Co-op & Cafe—(organic/local, coffee, salad & hot food bar, breakfast too!)
-The General Deli & Café - 609 E. Jefferson Blvd. (1.3 miles) casual food & coffee bar
GROCERY STORES & FARMERS MARKET
-Portage Meat & Market (1 mile); basic neighrhood store
-Purple Porch Co-op/Grocery/Cafe (1 mile) – organic groceries and delicious café; downtown
-Saigon Market (.6 miles) – 11 minute walk – downtown Asian grocery
-Flamingo’s Mexican Grocery & Restaurant (.8 miles) - downtown near the library
-South Bend Farmers Market (2 miles) - 7am-3pm Saturdays (smaller market Tues/Thurs; + Friday in summer)
-Martins Supermarket (2 miles) corner of Ironwood & South Bend Ave (fancier than our Martins)
-Whole Foods (5 miles)
DRUGSTORE / PHARMACY
-CVS Pharmacy at Portage & Elwood (1 mile)
LIQUOR STORE NEARBY
-Frank’s Place (two blocks away on the corner of Marion & Portage) Frank’s is also a neighborhood bar serving food.
FAST FOOD NEARBY
-Taco Bell, 221 W. LaSalle, corner of Lafayette & LaSalle (.4 mile)
-McDonald's, 416 N. Michigan (.4 mile)
-Burger King, 121 W. LaSalle (.5 mile)
-Subway, 115 W. Washington Street (.7 mile)
-Jimmy Johns, 138 S. Michigan Street (.8 mile)
DOWNTOWN MUSEUMS WITHIN ONE MILE
- Studebaker Auto Museum
- History Museum
- South Bend Museum of Art
- Artpost Gallery
- Fire Arts
Kroc Gym & Aquatics Center (1 mile)—can buy day pass
GAS STATION / MINI-MART NEARBY
Corner of Lafayette & LaSalle, kitty-corner from big South Bend Tribune building
COURTESY TOWARD OTHER GUESTS IN ADJACENT APARTMENTS:
---Maintain a quiet atmosphere, especially at night.
---"No smoking" policy also pertains to yards and porches.
---Light cooking only in kitchens. No fish, bacon, heavy frying, etc.
---Make sure to read the NEIGHBORHOOD section in our listing.
---No extra guests other than those registered.
My husband Eric and I enjoy staying in AirBnbs when we travel. We like AirBnb because we feel we have deeper and richer travel experiences by staying in local neighborhoods rather than in hotels. We look for Airbnbs that are eclectic, funky, colorful, homey, and comfortable. As Airbnb hosts, we also try to provide these features in our own Airbnb apartments and private rooms.
We are both entrepreneurial types. Eric has a small business in downtown South Bend, and I take care of our Airbnb spaces. We are also renovating a couple of houses on our block and are happy to be a part of improving our neighborhood.
We enjoy living adjacent to downtown, but also appreciate nature, bird-watching and solitude. We are environmentally conscious about what we eat, where we shop, how we live and how we work. We spend time weekly ballroom dancing, folk dancing, playing musical instruments, running, exercising at the neighborhood gym, and practicing yoga.